Application Information for
You have made it to step two. Here is the the information that you need to send to us via regular mail. Print this page out or take good notes. After you finish determining what you need to send to us, you should move on to step three - applying to the University of California.
Please send to us via regular mail the following:
Materials that may be sent by regular mail by January 7, 2013 include:
- a video tape or other visual production material of a production you have directed. Although this is not required, it is strongly recommended. Upload at https://gradapply.ucsd.edu..
- a resume. Upload at https://gradapply.ucsd.edu..
- Official transcripts or official copies of academic records from all post-secondary institutions attended. Upload at https://gradapply.ucsd.edu..
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation (Waiver of Access to Letters of Recommendation and Letter of Recommendation Form at https://gradapply.ucsd.edu). Preference is for online letters of recommendation. For the online letter of recommendation process, you must provide the email address of each recommender.
- Statement of purpose. Upload at https://gradapply.ucsd.edu.
These materials should be uploaded at http://gradapply.ucsd.edu or sent to the following address:
UCSD Theatre and Dance
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0344
You will be notified if a personal interview with the head of directing is to be scheduled. Each interview will be scheduled for approximately 30-45 minutes. We hope to gain an impression of your range of theatre skills, the scope of your imagination, your ability to analyze dramatic text, and your command of the theatre as an expressive medium. We also seek to determine your potential for growth and development as a director in the theatre.
In your interview, be prepared to discuss one play from the following: King Lear (Shakespeare), The Cherry Orchard (Anton Chekhov), The Three Sisters (Anton Chekov), Medea (Euripides), Tartuffe (Molière), Twelfth Night (Shakespeare) or Waiting for Godot (Samuel Beckett). We will be interested in your ability to analyze text, conduct research, and create a theatrical presence on stage. It is our purpose to give you a chance to open your imaginative and conceptual abilities to us. Thus the central focus of your discussion will be upon how you envision your production.
You should feel free to present information about productions you have directed. While production photographs are very important, anything you wish to present that you feel will give us a clearer understanding of your work as a theatre artist and your potential for creative growth can be presented. Further, we hope that you will be prepared to suggest the areas of theatrical exploration that interest you and particular plays or theatre projects you have in mind for the future.
If you have questions about the application process or about the materials required of you, please contact Marybeth Ward at (858) 534-1046 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are ready, move on
and apply to the University of California, San Diego click below: